Saturday, March 30, 2019

Mitha's Intercultural 2

Stefanie Ardy Christanty P
40020117060041
D3 English Department

Intercultural Assignment

1.      Do you recall from your childhood how you learned aspects of non-verbal language?

Ø  As a child, I learned non-verbal language by looking at my parents and my brother. For Examples, when my brother is having a stomach ache, he holds his stomach while complaining. Then when hungry, but must hold back, usually I only stroked my stomach. Then when I was angry, I would be quiet and sullen. And if I am angry with my brother or my parents, usually I will avoid and go to where I can be alone


2.      Are there any expressions or proverbs in your language that say something about non-verbal communication?

Ø  Yes, there are some expressions or proverbs in my language that say something about non-verbal communication. The examples is :
·         Angguk Bukan, geleng iya = Lain di mulut lain di hati
·         Geleng seperti si patung kenyang = bejalan dengan sombong/congkak
·         Lempar batu sembunyi tangan = melakukan suatu kegiatan, namun hanya berdiam diri seolah-olah tidak tahu
·         Mencabik baju di dada = menceritakan aib sendiri kepada orang lain
·         Orang mengantuk disorongkan bantal = memperoleh apa yang diinginkannya


3.      What kind of impressions do people form of one another based on non-verbal behavior?

Ø  People around the world is always look other people from non-verbal language and usually it show that they like or dislike this person. The example are :
·         I don’t like him because he always stares at me
·         I like her because she likes to smile kindly to everyone
·         I like him because he always holds my hand when I feel nervous
·         I liked it when he spontaneously wiped away my tears when I was crying
4.      What should a foreigner learn about non-verbal communication in your country before going there?

Ø  In my place, the first foreigner to learn is a way to get acquainted. When getting acquainted usually by shaking hand. And if we want to shake hand with the older, we should shake his hand and put his hand to the forehead commonly called “ sungkem “. If we visit someone else’s house, then we have to knock on the door and give greetings. When they are visiting, foreigners must understand when the Javanese people reach out to food or drink, they are allowing their guests to take food or drink that have been served. And many other examples, but in my opinion, this is the most important if foreigners meet with Javanese people.


Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment